Birdsong - Sebastian Faulks Ray Bradbury Unbound - Jonathan R. Eller The Fault in Our Stars - John Green

I had a busy weekend in which I went to the Efteling with friends and celebrated my grandmother's 76th birthday. Between these things, I didn't really have time to read, but I managed to make some small progress on the books I was already reading.

Birdsong has disappointed me so far. It's said to be a story about the first world war, but the first 25% are set in 1910. I can understand you need to set the story and perhaps introduce one of the characters in peace time, but this was just a sloppy romance I didn't enjoy. After that it gets better but it's still not as good as I thought it would be.

I read The Illustrated Man earlier this year and was quite impressed with it. I also wanted to read more biographies, so when this came up I wanted to read it. The writing is a bit impersonal but the book itself is interesting so far.

I'm also still reading The Fault in Our Stars. I've seen the movie already and was not too impressed with it. The book has been on my shelves for a long time, and I started reading it early September but so far, it mostly reminds me that I really don't like romance. And I find the dialogue rather pretentious.