Hush (Lakeview Series) - Stacey R. Campbell

I received a free copy of this book from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review, thank you!

Hush is the first book in the Lakeview series.

Tamura is a small European country that's hopelessly old-fashioned because it's still completely ruled by a monarch. And after an attack on the complete royal family, the country seems to lack a monarch. Enter Blakely, the secret natural daughter of Tamura's crown princess. And this year she's 'not interested in anything with a penis' unless of course they are hot British exchange students that stare at her all the time. Truth be told, I don't know if Max has a secret tragic backstory were he got castrated  that hasn't been mentioned in the series yet, in which case Blakely would keep her promise...

It was a fast read. But I found it very hard to accept certain of the plot points. I knew it was going to be difficult to convincingly portray a non-existing world in the otherwise completely normal world. Tamura never came to life for me. It looks like it's somewhat similar to Liechenstein or Monaco, but more old-fashioned in it's ruling. And from the story I got the idea the country is supposed to be larger than those mentioned earlier. Also Tamura doesn't really sound like a name for an European country.

The story felt a little bit too easy at times. Max gets his assignment really easy and I doubt it would count as a serious school project. There are signs of insta-love which I couldn't really appreciate. But besides, it was a nice read. I kept reading it, I wanted to know what happens next. Which is good as I also got an ARC for the second book, Whisper. I'll try to read that book sometime soon.