I'll be updating this post daily, so be aware it might pop up again at your dashboard...

The Bout of Books read-a-thon is organized by Amanda @ On a Book Bender and Kelly @ Reading the Paranormal. It is a week long read-a-thon that begins 12:01am Monday, August 18th and runs through Sunday, August 24th in whatever time zone you are in. Bout of Books is low-pressure, and the only reading competition is between you and your usual number of books read in a week. There are challenges, giveaways, and a grand prize, but all of these are completely optional. For all Bout of Books 11 information and updates, be sure to visit the Bout of Books blog. - From the Bout of Books team

This is going to be my first Read-A-Thon. I saw it pop up on some blogs here on Booklikes today. It sounds like a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to participating. As I'm new I'm not completely sure how successful I'm going to be, but I'm just going to try and see where it brings me.

Time Devoted to Reading

My three month summer vacation is not over yet, and I don't have a lot of big plans for the coming week either, so I think I'll have plenty of time to read some books!

My Goals

As I'm not sure what I'll be able to read in a week, I'll keep my goals a bit vague and just say:

I want to read:

* a couple of Netgalley books

* some of my own books

Books to Read

I haven't really decided all of the books I want to read, but definitely:

* Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

* City of Stairs by Robert Jackson Bennett

I'll just see how things turn out and I'll be updating daily!

Updates

Monday (Day 1)
Total number of books I've read: 1
Books: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Ransom Riggs)

Books I've started reading: 1 (City of Stairs (Robert Jackson Bennett))

Yesterday the reading went well, finished one book, exactly as planned. I hope (but I'm not quite sure yet) to finish another one today...

Tuesday (Day 2)
Number of books I've read today: 0 :(
Total number of books I've read: 1
Books: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Ransom Riggs)

Books I've started reading: 2 (City of Stairs (Robert Jackson Bennett) & Return to London (Terence Jenkins))

Yesterday wasn't really a good day for reading and I can't even name what exactly went wrong. There were some other things (besides reading) I really wanted to do, like try the new soupmaker I got as a present, and the book I was reading isn't really a book that's reading fast for me. So I started in another, short book that discusses lesser known places in London. So far it's very nice to read and I'm glad to see there are some places I already visited last year and others I've read about in -for example- Ben Aaronovitch's Rivers of London series.

For today I just hope to get some reading done, and finish these books...

Wednesday (Day 3)
Total number of books I've read: 2

Books I've started reading: 1 (City of Stairs (Robert Jackson Bennett))

I'm still reading City of Stairs! I'd planned to finish it at the start of the week, but so far it's not really working. I'll try again today.

However, I did manage to finish Return to London an interesting read about some lesser known places there. I liked it (Review will be up soon).

Thursday (Day 4)
Total number of books I've read: 3

Books I've started reading: 2 (City of Stairs (Robert Jackson Bennett) & Zaya (Jean-David Morvan)

City of Stairs is still unfinished but finally there's some action and I've got the feeling that today might really be the day I finish it, only 100 pages left. I also started reading a graphic novel Zaya one of my newest NG books. I like it so far, but my expectations were a bit too high I think. And I read the short Kindle Freebie How to survive an Amazon Forum Troll Attack.

Friday (Day 5)
Number of books I've read today: 2
Total number of books I've read: 5

Books I've started reading: 1 (Zaya (Jean-David Morvan)

Sorry that this update is a bit late, but I've spent a very nice day in Bruges! Yesterday was a busy day, but I was finally able to finish City of Stairs (Yeah) and also read the short story about the origin of The Cemetery of Forgotten books (Rose of Fire)

Saturday (Day 6)
Total number of books I've read: 6

Books I've started reading: 1 (Glitch (Brenda Pandos))

Yesterday was a very good (book) day for me! I went to Bruges and had about three hours of being on the train by myself which is just perfect reading time! I managed to finish Zaya and read more than half of Glitch. I'm pretty confident I'll be able to finish it today getting to 7 for the read-a-thon!

Sunday (Day 7) & Looking back
Total number of books I've read: 7
Books: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Ransom Riggs) & Return to London (Terence Jenkins) & How to survive an Amazon Forum Troll Attack (Michele Foal) & The Rose of Fire (Carlos Ruiz Zafon) & City of Stairs (Robert Jackson Bennett) & Zaya (Jean-David Morvan) & Glitch (Brenda Pandos)

Books I've started reading: 0

I finished my book yesterday, getting a total of seven books, though two of them were actually short stories and one a graphic novel, making it less impressive than it sounded at first. It was my first read-a-thon and I really enjoyed it. It was a very nice way to connect with other readers, I will definitely go and check out other read-a-thons in the future and participate again in the Bout of Books one. =)

Have you participated in this/a read-a-thon? What were your experiences?