One of Us - Tawni O'Dell

I received a free copy of this book from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review, thank you!

Publication date: August 19th 2014

Dr. Sheridan "Danny" Doyle is now a famous psychologist in Philadelphia, but used to be an outcast with his irresponsible father and mentally ill mother who's in jail. Raised by his grandfather, who's grandfather was executed before the eyes of his father as one of the Nellies, a group of rebellious Irish miners. However, the past is far from dead in Lost Creek.

It started off very good. I could immediately feel that this was a community that's - almost with every step they take - still strung to the past. The gallows were never torn down, there are the NONs, there's a museum, and most of people believe the whole place is haunted.There are few people in Lost Creek that are not somehow related to the men, the Nellies, that died there in the 19th century. The mines still run, and are still in the hands of the same family, the Dawes. Thus everyone in the village is still dependent on them. Danny has freed himself from this, but gets drawn back into it when he returns to Lost Creek to look after his sick grandfather Tommy, and stumbles upon a dead body near the gallows.

I was from the very beginning drawn into the story, but this somehow stopped after about 100 pages, when the POV switches between Danny and Scarlet (firstborn daughter of Dawes), who's a terribly unlike-able character. I don't mind reading about a psychopath, but she was just SO annoying, I found that I couldn't really care the same for the rest of the story. I still wanted to find out what happened (and what was written on that mysterious piece of paper), but mostly I just wanted to get rid of Scarlet. The writing was good and read fast, which would make this a perfect summer suspense had Scarlet not been such an annoying character...

A nice little touch of her lovely character </sarcasm>

"I liked her well enough. She was no threat to me. My family had more money. I was prettier, smarter, and had a far superior wardrobe. I was better than her in every way that I wanted to be." *

* This was quoted from the reader's proof, and may have been corrected/changed in the final version, but I haven't been able to check.