Perfected - Kate Jarvik Birch

I received a free copy of this book from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review, thank you!

Meet Eight (later Ella), who's genetically engineered and groomed and trained to be sit, smile and look pretty. The perfect pet! What? A law is passed to allow people to keep these girls that are specially bred as pet, it's the next thing to have for the rich. The even describe her as 'it'. What a wonderful people that must be...

I really liked this book, a lot more than I first expected to. The story was refreshing, for once not another Dystopian YA where rebellion lurks from every corner. Ella doesn't seem to be extra special or different from the other pets, albeit quite naive. She seems to be quite happy with her luxurious life.

It's perhaps legal, but not accepted (by everyone) to have a pet like this. There are protests going on both in- and outside the House, but these are mostly shielded from Ella. Other things are just discussed in front of her, really like you would do with a dog. These actions are of course repelling, but really fit in with the story.

Perhaps the best thing: there is NO love triangle! It's still possible! Hurray! Besides, I think that the romance was quite cute and believable. Once again I think it fitted the story. Nothing too big or anything, and the absence of a third person was a really nice change.

The story had me hooked almost immediately, and I'm not sure if there's going to be a sequel, because it was a bit of a cliffhanger, and I really want to know how their story continues. So -for once- I hope there'll be a sequel. It felt like reading the story Wither could have been, but without the weird, ill-fitting genetic and virus plot that doesn't make any sense.