Unwept - Tracy Hickman, Laura Hickman

I received a free copy of this book from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review, thank you!

Warning: This book doesn't contain an ending. It doesn't stop mid-sentence, but it's close. Somehow this makes it feel like you're just reading a very long promotion to the second book. I never like it when it's so obvious you can't just read a book on its own. If you want to have some questions, you'll have to continue this series.

The premise is very good. A girl in a mysterious village during WW1. Everyone seems to know a lot about her. She doesn't remember anyone. She doesn't remember who she herself is. From the beginning it's obvious something strange is going on. Although the pace is quite slow at the start, I was intrigued. But as so few questions are answered during the book and at the same time the story gets weirder (and -for me- not for the good) I felt like it kinda lost me. I still want to know what happened, how it happened and exactly how the prologue does fit in the rest of the story.

Besides being a bit slow at the start, I liked the writing, it made for a nice and easy read. I'm still curious to see what answers will (hopefully) be given in the second book, like what with the murders? Where comes her medical knowledge from? Who's this mothman? And just, what happened to her?