The Maze Runner - James Dashner

This book had been staring to me for the last few years. When I heard they were going to make it into a movie, I decided I should probably read it first. Not sure if I'm happy with that decision.

Around me I've heard a lot of my friends telling me this is such a wonderful novel, but I really can't feel that thrilled. I was slightly bored reading it and even worse, the world didn't make any sense. At all.

I've been trying to work out just about how many people there would have to be in this boys-only world. There seem to be quite a lot of them, which doesn't feel right as there is just one new arrival every once in a while, there are a dozen or so kids in the graveyard (dead I mean) and the people who've been here the longest have stayed there for about 2 years! Where do all the characters come from? (I mean, even there council is crowded).

And in those 2 years you'll be happy to learn they spent their time basically running around a maze like headless chickens, and working out sadistic expulsion ceremonies for the people who won't obey the rules. Seriously, whoever thought that one out (and created the belt) has some mental issues.

The whole maze doesn't make sense, no matter how you look at it. Why do these people keep running there? More importantly, why is it there in the first place? The answers given are - to say the least-  weak and I'm not buying it. The characters are also flat and so very special, I couldn't care for them. The story ends on a massive cliffhanger, so if you want to know what happens you'll have to continue reading...