The Eye of the Moon - Anonymous

The Eye of the Moon is the sequel to The Book With No Name, which I've read a couple of years ago. Ever since, I was completely unaware of this second book (I had no clue it would be turned into a series) until I was adding my books here on BookLikes. I then just walked in to the second and third book of the Bourbon Kid series.

I decided to just start reading The Eye of the Moon, even though I didn't really recall a lot about the first book (except the obvious genre-mash up and the violence of course; hard to forget those). Things start about a year later, and once again it almost Halloween (You should stay away from Santa Mondega around Halloween, and if you've got a choice, perhaps you'd better stay away all year). The place is crowded with vampires, werewolves, the FBI and the occasional mummy (just to spice things up a bit). Oh, and there is a mass killer only known as The Bourbon Kid, and very few people ever met him and got the chance to tell about it.

This book is by far one of the weirdest books I've ever read. It's a complete mash up of many genres. It's hard (if not impossible) to put a genre on it. It's less Western as the first one though, and the focus seems to be more on the serial killer, paranormal, Da-Vinci-Code-like object hunt, with a side order of Secret services, personal drama and humour, all drenched in a sauce of violence (a lot of violence). The author - who's identity, according to Wikipedia and a quick Google search, still is a mystery - even tries to put in some character development in this book. However, this isn't the strength of this book.

One of the main reasons, there are so many characters! The POV switches between almost any living and undead inhabitant of Santa Mondega, that it is a bit hard to keep track on everyone. All the different plot lines are in the end linked in a logical way (as far as logic goes in this novel), and since only a few people live to see the end, it gets easier.

This book is an absurd mix, but enjoyable nevertheless. I think you really should be in the mood, as it's very violent, fast and absurd. It's not something I want to read all the time. But every once in a while, it's nice to have a little change, and this book was perfect for that purpose. Besides, there really were passages that I quite liked, because they were funny or witty (though not all of it was the kind of humour I like). Now, I can continue in a completely different kind of book; Crippen by John Boyne. The Third book in this series (The Devil's Graveyard), will definitely be read somewhere in the next months.

Based on the book I'd like to make some assumptions on the author. I'd say male, American, quite young.