Of Scions and Men - Courtney Sloan

After tragedy strikes, it is time for the Vampires to reveal their true nature and in fact they end up governing over the humans, who are forced to donate blood for the vampires to drink. In addition, important vampires can get a Scion, which is like a special blood donor who in return can tap from the vampire's power through a psychic link. Main character Rowan, both Scion and on the lookout for rogue vampires, will do what it takes to protect her little brother from harm.

Most of the time I really enjoyed the novel. I quite liked the scion thing, as it was at least trying to keep the vampires slightly more original, which must be a near impossible job with all the vampire novels out there. However, it couldn't always keep my interest and besides the occasional infodump I also thought it was rather slow at times. Although Rowan is a conflicted and mostly interesting character, she sometimes takes her sarcasm and independence to a level where it becomes more or less annoying.

I've read this is the first book in a new series, and I hope this is indeed true, as the world was quite interesting and there are certainly some questions left to be answered.

Thanks to the publisher for providing me with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review!