Illuminae - Jay Kristoff, Amie Kaufman

This isn't an easy book for me to review. I find it hard to grasp what I thought of it. It's certainly not something you read every day, but does it really work for me?

In the midst of a break-up, Kady's home planet, a tine rock somewhere at the end of the universe gets invaded by a rivalling megacorporations. As she and her fresh ex-boyfriend make it unto one of the evacuating fleet, their fight for survival is only beginning. And the clock is ticking as they are being chased by an enemy warship.

Although the story may not be extremely original (it still kind of is a space opera, especially in certain scenes), there is a lot going on at the same time so it's never boring and I wanted to know what was happening. I mean, there's the pursuit, a deadly mutating virus outbreak and an AI on the loose. If that's not enough to spice things up, there's the romance *sigh*. Why, why, why does every book about the ending of the world need to focus on the romantic relationships of the main characters? Don't they have something better to do?

The special thing about this book however is the format. It's completely told in letters, files, chats (oh, how I hate reading chats for large parts of the story). Which is weird. It took me quite some time to really start appreciating it. (At first I was just waiting for the story to start). In the end, I even started to kind of like it. Not that it's something I would like to see on every book now, but it gave this book something special and an extra ring to the series title of The Illuminae Files.

Although I read an ebook ARC I think this is one of those books that's a pleasure to just hold in your hands. The drawings that looked really cool on the eReader must be amazing in print!

Looking forward to the next book!

Illuminae is the first book in the Illuminae Files.

Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for providing me with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review!