Dark Triumph - Robin LaFevers

I liked Ismae's but I liked Sybella's story even more.

The second book in the His Fair Assassin-series follows Sybella, another Handmaiden of Death. She tried to flee her old life by coming to the Convent of Saint Mortain but instead was trained to return and retake her place at court as a spy to the Convent. As she's constantly surrounded by danger and betrayal, she'll have to find out just which role Mortain has in mind for her.

I don't want to go into too much detail for fear of spoiling anything, and it's best to read it all by yourself. But Sybella's story was really interesting, even though it's more her personal story and less about Brittany's history. Her life has definitely been tragic so far and she's no perfect character either. But that makes her all the more human.

The nun assassin idea is still very entertaining, and I can't really say that this book didn't remind me of Game of Thrones (even though there's not so much political intrigue in this book) because

I was saying after reading the first book that it reminded me of Game of Thrones but without the incest. Well, that statement is no longer true after reading Dark Triumph...

(show spoiler)

Darker and in my opinion even stronger than Grave Mercy, I'm really looking forward to Mortal Heart.

Dark Triumph is the second book in the His Fair Assassin Trilogy. Grave Mercy and Mortal Heart are the other books and they feature Ismae and Annith, respectively.

Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for providing me with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review!