Broken Skies - Theresa Kay

All reviews I read about this book were very positive so I was happy to request a copy myself even though I wasn't going to request any more books. It's no miracle my expectations were quite high when I started reading, but unfortunately I was disappointed quite early one as it turned out this book was not for me at all.

The setting is some post-apocalyptic America, with not one but two major 'disasters' in twenty years. First, the humans were almost wiped out completely. Survives were just trying to get on with their lives when the aliens landed. But for some reason they didn't invade really but moved into the cities that were already abandoned. They don't mix and most people have never even seen an alien.

They keep to their own in a very typical 'not many people have survived' setting, one that has decided that feminism must be the root of all evil. It's been thirty years since the apocalypse, people would still remember how thing were before!

As less females survived the apocalypse I can understand perhaps that they might be treated with some extra care. Although I firmly believe that everyone old enough to read YA is aware of the fact that you need more than just a womb to grow a baby. My biggest problem is that - and it's not just this book but it really annoyed me this time - for some reason they've decided that the best way to recreate civilization is to stop any kind of emancipation. Apparently worlds are best recreated when the women in the story wear long skirts, sit inside, look pretty and do embroidery. Oh, and grow babies. That's all. (But then again, why are young women given away as trophies to old men, who quite possibly are no longer capable of fathering a child?)

But Jax is not like the other girls. She's such a special snowflake. She wears jeans (oh my! People are actually commentating on her outfits a lot) and prefers hunting to embroidery classes. Even though she's such a rebel at the start, there are at least four guys fighting for her hand. Because she's so special. She meets an alien. Luckily for the rest of the story these aliens, who've only been her for such a short time -keep that in mind-, look just like humans. Almost indistinguishable from each other. Now, what are the odds! The aliens do have somewhat brighter-coloured hair and ornamental scales. Okay.  In ten pages her mind switches from 'Kill him!' to 'Love him!', it really reads like instalove in the blink of an eye. Fast, even for instalove-standards.

The rest of the story wasn't much better, unfortunately. An unremarkable journey, an uninteresting relationship and oh, so shocking revelations that -surprise- didn't blow me away. I'd hoped for something more, but couldn't find it in this story.

Broken Skies is the first book in a new series.

Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for providing me with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review!