The Last Breath - Kimberly Belle

As a humanitarian aid worker, Gia thought she'd fled the scene of her youth for good. But when her father is released from prison as he's dying from cancer, she has to return to take care for him, together with her siblings who also preferably forget about it. Did their father really kill his wife, their stepmother, or was there more to it?

It was not my usual read, but it was enjoyable enough for a change. The story itself was quite interesting, as it all seems clear right at the beginning, but with so many people acting strange, you'll have serious doubts as to what has happened. Or, at least, I did. It's not edge of your seat thrilling, but it's interesting.

It really set the somewhat claustrophobic setting it must be to return to the small town an outcast, only because of what her father did. Her siblings, confronted with this for fifteen years, have absolutely suffered from this.

There's also a lot of other drama in this novel, like a big romance subplot. It really depends on what you like to read about of course, but I'd rather seen it take not such a big role as it really took the speed out of the story in times. Although it in the ends adds to the drama, this was unnecessary for me.

Overall, an enjoyable read but perhaps a bit too long for the story it was telling.

Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for providing me with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review!